La Ciudad de The city of Cienfuegos, also known as the Pearl of the South, is the second most important port in Cuba and capital of the province of the same name. It owes its origin to the interest of the Spanish colonial authorities to develop new cities on the island.
On April 22, 1819, at sunrise, Don Luis De Clouet, adorned with his insignia and surrounded by neighbors who listened to him on his knees, took possession of the lands in the name of His Majesty the King of Spain.
In 1829 the name of Fernandina de Jagua was replaced by that of Cienfuegos, in honor of the Captain General of the Island, Don Jose Cienfuegos Jovellanos, who had done much for the town and under whose name the colony was founded. The Town Hall and Villa's title were awarded in 1829 and acquired the status of city in 1880. It is the capital of the province of the same name since 1976, with the new political-administrative division of the country.