Trinidad, officially founded as Villa de la Santísima Trinidad and called by some historians and inhabitants as The Trinidad or Trinidad of Cuba. It is a city located in the central region of Cuba, specifically in the south of the province Sancti Spíritus, and is the capital of the municipality of the same name.
The Villa de la Santísima Trinidad was the third villa founded by the Spanish crown in Cuba in early 1514. The town was founded with the presence of Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar, and was evolving rapidly, thanks to the entrepreneurial attitude of its Inhabitants, which made it possible to be one of the most prosperous of the largest of the Antilles.
The conservation and restoration work undertaken by specialists in this area of south central Cuba, and the love professed by its inhabitants for their city, makes it one of the best preserved colonial cities not only in Cuba, but also in America.
In 1988 UNESCO inscribed in the World Heritage List the Historic Center of Trinidad next to the Valley of the Wits, where the sugar flourished with the arrival of the Iznaga, Borrell and Brunet families towards the middle of the 19th century.